Today in this digital era every business needs exceptional software solutions to outstand in the market. Software being a service is a giant industry. Finding a compatible software solution for your business can be so overwhelming sometimes. There are many factors to keep in mind during the selection process of software solutions. The most important factor is that either the person should use custom software or ready-made software. As every option has its own merits and demerits.Sometimes the ready-made software can do the trick while other times the custom software is needed.The selection process isn’t that easy as it is going to affect your business for several years.Here in this blog were trying to make things simpler for you.
But first let’s take a look at what these two software solutions are:
CUSTOM SOFTWARE SOLUTION
As the name says, these types of softwares prepared on a person’s personal demand to help in achieving specific business goals. These softwares are not available online for you to buy and deploy across your company.
These softwares are highly specialized as to develop these softwares the person needs to get in touch with a custom software development company. They will carefully understand and analyze your business particular needs and propose custom software according to your specifics.
MERITS OF CUSTOM SOFTWARE SOLUTION
- Developing custom software allows the person to add features according to business needs and also eliminate the unnecessary features. This helps a person and his team to work without getting distracted and the final product is free from any complexities and can help in adoption across organizations.
- The most important is that the custom software is developed based on the precise requirement and specification. This allows the finished product to seamlessly integrate with your system without any alteration.
- As your organization’s internal needs evolve, you expand your workplace and add new processes. Alter its features and set it up according to better adaptation to these developments.
- The complete owner of your custom software. You don’t have to worry about aspects like how it’s used, how it’s evolved. Most importantly you don’t have to worry about a third party changing terms and conditions of the software or making an upgrade on it, also simply ending support for your software, no license or hidden cost.
- As your custom software develops to address the unique business challenge or what say problem. This will increase the pace of growth of the business, more reliable in terms of performance, and cost saving. Also only you have access to this unique software so your competition would likely be decreased.
- Custom software provides you with new business opportunities as you can sell your software to other companies when they are in need.
DEMERITS OF CUSTOM SOFTWARE SOLUTION
- The major con of choosing a custom software solution is that the initial investment can be so high which makes it impossible for the small business to opt for this solution.
- The developmental process of custom software takes time. It may range from months to years depending on the size of software.So if you need to deploy a custom solution the next day then this won’t be a possible solution.
- Most of the time companies can’t predict that the software will work for the problem or not. However Custom software’s vendors offer a demo but they are the trailer of that final product not the actual product.
Ready-made solutions contain off-the-shelf software or ready-made softwares. They are already made softwares available online. Companies can buy and subscribe to it when in need. They are often used for relatively general business problems and target a wide audience across the globe.
Ready-made software have multiple editions,providing users some flexibility to choose over price and features.However customization is also possible in some cases.
MERITS OF READY-MADE SOFTWARES SOLUTIONS
- Ready-made softwares are produced to entertain a wider audience since they come within affordable prices,also the cost does not have to be restricted to one person or the company.
- Many Ready-made softwares are available online; you just have to sort out the best match for your query. You can easily deploy and run these softwares within a matter of time.
- The ready-made software’s vendor provides ongoing support to the software. Companies can check the reviews and forums to see whether the people like it or not.Also it will work for your project or not.
- The ready-made software allows you the opportunity to take a trial demo version so you can check the result without even buying it.
DEMERITS OF READY-MADE SOFTWARE SOLUTION
- Well ready-made software develops to overcome general queries. It will not satisfy your personal demand. Ready-made can lack features, besides may include redundant features which hinders your productivity, use system resources and make adoption difficult.
- Companies may purchase ready-made software at a low price. But it will rack up quite a bill as you continue using it. As the software is not yours so you have to buy a subscription and pay for licensing besides you have to pay additional features and ongoing maintenance and support charges.
- The ready-made software vendor develops these softwares for use as-is.Company cannot customize or alter it according to its need.However in some software if the customization is available then the vendor will charge an extreme amount for alteration which makes company neglect this option.
- However ready-made software is used by the whole world so there is no space for innovation and businesses compete through similar strategies which makes it harder to rank in the market.Everyone is familiar with your capabilities, strategies and limitations. The ground is fairly similar and easily implementable.
WHAT TO CHOOSE BETWEEN CUSTOM SOFTWARE VS READY-MADE SOFTWARE
Above you see the pros and cons of both the solutions. You can easily understand that there is no solution for one-size-fit. You need to understand your needs, your limits and consequences. However a little searching can help you get to your desired solution.
Here are a few things to consider during the process of searching.
Start off by clearly understanding that your solution can easily be done by ready-made solutions or not. Can a little customization do a job or not. Then turn into a fully customized software development solution.
TIME AND MONEY
The two factors are time and money. You need to evaluate how urgently you have to respond to that query and then you need to make sure about your financial condition. Taking this step seriously really helps you out selecting best solutions for your business.
INVOLVEMENT AND CONTROL
It’s your decision that how much control you want over on your software.and how much time would you likely to be investing on the development of that particular software. Would it really matter to you or would you like someone else to really care about this?
Well it is totally based on your in-house team that how fast they adapt to new softwares and implement this software in your business. Because adaptation and implementation may take a serious amount of time and effort.
WHEN TO CHOOSE CUSTOM SOFTWARE SOLUTION
Simply you should go for custom software solution when:
- You have a unique query to address and no ready-made software will satisfy your needs.
- You’re trying to be unique and want to stand out of the line.
- Trying to be innovative.
- Require a solution that will handle your current and future problems.
- Having full control over software development and its features.
- Must have the budget as well as time for software development.
WHEN TO CHOOSE READY-MADE SOFTWARE SOLUTION
Simply you should go for ready-made software solution when:
- The problem isn’t that complex and can be solved through general software or ready-made software.
- Your business financial state is not stable.
- Your in-house team is skilled and can easily adapt to new software and implement them in your business.
- You want an urgent response to your problem.
- You have no issue of not having control over the features of software.
Both of these solutions work in their respective ways.You have to select what solution will work best for your business and last long.If you consider the above points for selecting the solution then they’re more than enough.
So good luck……..
Author: Humaiz AhmedHumaiz ahmed is a digital marketeer, blogger, and entrepreneur. He loves to write on topics like digital marketing, health, fitness, lifestyle and life hacks where he can share his experience and knowledge with others.
Livestream e-commerce has been a key player in the eCommerce industry for a few years. Now…